It’s that time of year again–strawberry season! Whoop, whoop! Their season is roughly from April to June. Yes we can enjoy them year-round since they’re readily available in the frozen fruit section of your fave grocer but fresh is awesome and in season, of course it’s cost effective. If you’re lucky enough to have a strawberry patch nearby, go take advantage of that. All you have to do is pay for your bucket(s) and you get to pick your own strawberries–children love that experience! Strawberries are great in desserts, milkshakes (my mother craved strawberry milkshakes when she was pregnant with me), smoothies and as a snack. And speaking of desserts, I am a Southern Belle and you know how much we love our cobblers down South! No matter which part of the country or the world you hail from, add this recipe to your arsenal of desserts. Enjoy!
2 lbs. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
Sugar & cinnamon mixture (1 tablespoon sugar + ½ teaspoon cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together self-rising flour, sugar, milk and butter.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan, then spread the strawberry mixture on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the cobbler is golden brown and bubbling.
- Optional: Sprinkle the sugar & cinnamon mixture on the cobbler and/or serve it with ice cream.
Vanese Scott is a mother and educator. She enjoys spending time with her son, dancing, cooking and baking. Due to her new health journey, she’s been experimenting in the kitchen with vegan vittles–exciting! To connect with Vanese, follow her on Instagram at: @thenaturalteacher.