So as the New Year begins, we are all sticking to our new LIFE resolutions right? *cues cricket noises*
Well, just in case SOME of you guys have “slipped” or never even started, I am going to give you a QUICK recipe that is guarantee to fill your belly up with wholesome, nutritious and yummy goodness for your appetite.
Picture Source: Katheats
As a single mom, full-time student and part-time “get myself together” guru, I swear by the revolution of the overnight oats movement. Some of you guys may have heard about this, while others are completely clueless as to what it is. Basically, it’s oatmeal that is prepped the night before, soaking in a liquid (i.e. water, milk, almond milk, etc), loaded up with fruit, which sits overnight. That way, the next morning, all you have to do is grab it out of your refrigerator, and dig in (or you can heat it up if you would like, it’s your choice).
Now if you’re not an oatmeal fan, then SHAME ON YOU. I kid. But it’s not for everyone. I get it. However, if you’re looking to try out something that is both simple and quick yet healthy for your temple, then try out the recipe below:
- ½ cup of rolled oats (NOT instant oatmeal, you need to get your fiber benefits from ACTUAL oats)
- 1 cup of your liquid of choice (I use almond milk. Some use coconut milk. Others use cow’s milk. However, you get the same nutritional value of calcium from almond/cashew/coconut milk as you would with cow’s milk. Plus a vegan alternative for dairy is better for your body but that’s another story).
- ½ cup of your favorite fruit chopped (cranberries, apples, bananas, etc.)
- Optional: nuts, chia seeds, peanut butter/almond butter, etc.
- A Tupperware bowl with a sealable lid (but mason jars are best in my opinion)
Layer all ingredients, or mix and let it set it overnight. The next day, eat up either cold or you may heat up if you would like. That’s it!
Mystique Hargrove is a mother, mompreneur, and certified yoga instructor currently studying nutrition at Georgia State University. She enjoys spending time with her son, cooking, and sharing her inner light with the world around her. To connect with Mystique follow her on Instagram at: @queenoftheboho add your bio and IG or Facebook infoTags: Oats, Quick Oats, Breakfast, Overnight Oats